We’re excited to break ground on our new library this July 21, 2018 at 10 a.m. This has been made possible thanks to the support of 200 community members – individuals, businesses, and foundations – that have contributed over $1.3 million toward our $1.5 million goal! Help put us over the top with your gift.
Why Build a New Library Now?
The idea of separating the South Hero community library and the Folsom School library has been a topic of discussion for several years. The idea began to pick up a lot of steam in 2014, as it became apparent that school needs and community needs were increasingly growing in different directions.
What are some of the top constraints that the new Library will address?
- Due to school safety requirements, the general public can only access the Library when school is not in session. Daytime hours for the general public are severely limited, which has had largest impact on the youngest and oldest members of our community.
- Due to space constraints, the Community and the School cannot adequately grow their collections to meet the needs of their primary users. While students need a collection that better addresses curriculum requirements, the younger children and adults in our community are asking for picture books on one hand, and books for a more mature audience on the other.
- Gathering space at the current library is too tight for many community events and also inadequate for student needs, both during reading time and in terms of technology and maker space.
The planned new Library is in response to community input. People who answered surveys repeatedly requested expanded Library hours, a well-ventilated place, and room for community activities.
This website is meant to help you understand how we might better serve the entire community with a new, standalone library; what that library will look like and how we’ll get it to completion; and how we can do it without a significant financial impact on residents. If you have questions that aren’t answered here, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us!
– The South Hero Community Library Steering Committee
– The South Hero Community Library Board of Trustees
Capital Campaign Funding Updates
We are closing in on our fundraising goal! As of July 2018, over $1.3 million has been raised in cash and pledges toward the $1.5 million goal needed to build a new library for South Hero. Get the latest news on our fundraising efforts here.
The Proposed New Location
The land that will be donated to the Community Library is at 260 Route 2 in South Hero, adjacent to Wally’s Place and the Champlain Islands Health Center.